Please review the following procedures for drop-off in the morning and pick-up in the afternoon at HMS so we can make arrival and departure work well for everyone.
Your cooperation with these procedures helps us to expedite the arrival/dismissal process, and most importantly, ensure the safety of our children.
Supervision begins at 8:25 AM. Upon arrival, students arriving by car, by bike, or on foot will head to the playground behind the school using the sidewalks. The first bell rings at 8:40, at which time they will be allowed to move to their classes. There will be staff on hand to direct your child where to go.
If you drive your child to school, please drop your child off at the FRONT entrance of HMS (this is the NORTH parking lot). You will turn RIGHT into the driveway from Hunter Road, and loop around the small parking lot to enter the drop-off area directly in front of the main doors. Students may ONLY be dropped off in the drop-off area for safety reasons.
- Pull up to the far-east end of the driveway past the main doors, even if there are no cars behind you.
- Once you are just past the front doors, you may stop and allow your child to exit the car. The supervisors will direct your child where to go.
- To facilitate the drop-off procedure, please keep the line moving, and allow your child to exit on his or her own. You do not need to exit the car.
- Please try to arrive between 8:25 and 8:40. This will ensure your child makes it to homeroom on time.
- Refrain from passing other cars in the front driveway as this creates unsafe conditions for our children.
- Watch for students in the crosswalk and students riding their bikes to school. Please drive SLOWLY.
- The school zone is a CELL-PHONE FREE zone. Please refrain from using your phone at any time while dropping off your child.
- When exiting the driveway, be aware that buses will be turning into the south parking lot. You may have to stop to allow the bus safe passage to the south lot before proceeding on Hunter Road.
- You may ONLY TURN RIGHT out of the driveway when exiting.
Once dropped off, students should use the sidewalks to go to the playground.
Buses will use the SOUTH PARKING LOT area off of Hunter Road to drop off and pick up children in the morning and the afternoon. CARS ARE PROHIBITED from entering the south parking lot for drop-off and pick-up.
Students dropped off from the BUS LINE will enter the building at 8:40 AM and will proceed to their classes.
If your child is riding his or her bike to school, please remind your child to stay on the sidewalks and bike paths, and to wear a helmet.
Students WALKING OR BIKING will head to the back playground and stay there until the doors open at 8:40 AM.
MORNING ARRIVAL MAP:
School is dismissed at 3:35 PM. Please follow the directions below for pick-up at the end of the school day to ensure a safe and efficient pick-up:
If you are picking up your child from school in a car, this will take place in the front driveway of the school. TURN RIGHT ONLY to enter the driveway, and proceed around the large circle in the parking lot to the farthest east position in the front driveway.
Children will exit the building and will meet you in front to be picked up. While the children will exit out of any door, please ask your child to use the sidewalks and to come to the front entrance of the building for pick-up. Cars will circle around the parking lot, and should plan to pick children up in the drive at the front of the school. We ask that children refrain from crossing the parking lot to enter waiting cars. We appreciate your patience in the car line, as it is important to the safety of our students. Once your child is in your car, you may proceed out of the driveway to keep the car line moving.
- CARS PICKING UP MAY ONLY TURN RIGHT INTO THE DRIVEWAY. LEFT TURNS KEEP TRAFFIC ON HUNTER FROM MOVING, AND WILL PREVENT OUR BUSES FROM BEING ABLE TO ENTER THE SOUTH LOT.
- Please enter the driveway and circle all the way around the parking, as far as you are able to within the loop.
- Wait there until you are in front of the main entrance of the school to meet your child.
- Please do NOT park your car in the driveway or parking lot, or exit your car at any time.
- When in the driveway, follow the traffic pattern and the directions of staff members. Our goal is to keep the line moving quickly and efficiently, while first and foremost keeping our children safe.
- Please do not pull into the driveway if it causes you to create a double lane. This creates a safety hazard for the children meeting other cars as well as walkers in the crosswalks.
- Please drive slowly through the driveway to keep students crossing at the crosswalk safe.
- If your child has an after school activity that requires an immediate pickup, please try to arrive early to be near the front of the line so you can exit quickly.
- When exiting the driveway, be aware that buses will be turning into the south parking lot. You may have to stop to allow the bus safe passage to the south lot before proceeding on Hunter Road. There is NO PARKING on Hunter between the two driveways.
- If you prefer to have a meet-up with your child on a street surrounding the school, we ask that you refrain from meeting your child on Hunter so buses can get through. Be sure your child knows of that meeting point.
- If your child is meeting you at the car line, please discuss the importance of getting there quickly so as to keep the line moving.
Buses will pick students up in the south parking lot. This is a separate pick up location for BUSES ONLY. Cars will be prohibited from entering the south parking lot. Students will exit the building and walk up the stairs by the playground to meet their buses. If buses are not yet at HMS, students will wait in the gym. If your child is a bus rider, please discuss the importance of boarding the bus quickly so that they may get started on bringing kids home in a timely fashion.
Children walking or biking home will be dismissed at the end of the school day and may proceed home immediately after school. Please remind your child of safety rules to follow when walking and biking home.
AFTERNOON DISMISSAL MAP